Friday, January 28, 2011

So I realize I haven't posted in a while. I actually lost the memory card with half of my pictures and only found it today. It never really was lost, just a usual case of me forgetting where I put it! Anyways, I'm a little behind, but here they are!

See that sad little line and the poorly drawn airplane on the map? That's where I'm going and that's the way I'm going. I don't know when, but I'm going.


One of my favorite pictures: she is so cute!


Odell modeling one of the diapers a few wonderful young ladies helped me make last year for the babies at Rafiki Village.


Ummmm... lets just say she likes horses. Kinda sorta.


I love his smile (even with his snotty little face)!


This was Joe's birthday. I bought him this book (Jesus M.D.) and told him that someday, when he becomes a doctor, he will appreciate it. We are putting the pressure on him to be a doctor so we can all move to Africa and live in grass huts and heal people! Sounds good to me. Oh, and by the way, if you are interested in medicine, or even if you aren't, this is a wonderful book! I know the title sounds funny, but it really makes you think about how you serve.


I love this picture, especially how it has the "Jesus" in the background


This, if you were wondering (which I am sure you were), is A Thing That Hangs (for lack of a better name). Usually it hangs over a baby's crib. You may wonder why something like that is hanging in our house. Good question. I've got an answer.

Matthew 18:3 - "And he said: 'Truly I say unto you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.' "

I am trying to remain a child. (Just kidding.)


A young Masai warrior.


Mom and her good friend Mrs. Dowling.


A Liberian woman buying oranges.


I told Iryna to sit on the trailer and look awkwardly at the camera, but she preferred feeding the horse instead.


A Liberian woman preparing the evening meal.


My wonderful mother!


A little Liberian girl. She looks so tired and worn out.


If you're wondering why this one looks so much like one of my previous pictures, I can tell you. It is very simple. I am, simply, not creative! Except once in a while. I guess. Maybe. I need another opinion. You know when writers can't come up with something they call it writer's block? I guess I have photographer's block. If there is such a thing...

Oh and you want to know something? Well, even if you don't I'm going to tell you. I will start with saying that parts of our family were very strange and yes, maybe I should say "are" if you count us, but I try to ignore that side of our family. Anyway, on the verrrrrry strange side we had a few very artsy people (thus the strangeness). One was a painter and painted for Norman Rockwell! And that folks, is the connection between our weird family and this picture.


A Liberian boy in a worn out office chair. During the war, boys this age would be drugged up and given a gun to fight.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    I'm so glad that you got caught up! Your photography is beautiful! I'm not creative by nature, but I do appreciate beauty and I think you've got an eye for color/space/subject :-) You MUST--you even got a good picture of me (totally NOT photogenic, lol) I especially enjoy your pics from Africa--your heart for the people shows in how you photograph them. You aren't looking to create "art" but to capture their hearts/circumstances/needs....there's an honesty and purity to your pictures because they aren't "staged." Keep up the good work!

    Mrs. Dowling

    ReplyDelete